Certificate of Roadworthiness

When do I need a Certificate of Roadworthiness?

A Certificate of Roadworthiness is required for certain vehicles namely:

  • A Motor Caravan
  • Mechanically propelled vehicles, registered for one year or more, used for the carriage of passengers with more than 8 seats, not including the driver e.g. Buses.
  • Goods vehicles, registered for one year or more, having a design gross vehicle weight of not exceeding 3,500 kgs (to be tested as light goods vehicles).
  • Goods vehicles and trailers, registered for one year or more, having a design gross vehicle weight of over 3,500 kg (to be tested as heavy goods vehicles).
  • Ambulances and all emergency vehicles, registered for one year or more
  • Recovery vehicles
  • Mobile workshops or vehicles taxed at the mobile workshop tax class which have is body type classified as a van.

A current Certificate of Road Worthiness (CRW) is required for vehicles over 1 year old. If no CRW exists, the vehicle must be tested at an appropriate test centre. 

Any vehicle tested after the 30/09/2013 will be issued a CRW through the post.

If you do not have a current Certificate of Roadworthiness for a vehicle that would be included in any of the categories listed above, you cannot tax the vehicle. You must have the vehicle tested by an Authorised Tester. A list of Authorised Testers in your area is available from your local Motor Taxation Office.

It should be noted that a Certificate of Roadworthiness can be recorded against vehicle regardless of tax class.

Failure to have a current CRW certificate is an offence under Section 18 of the Road Traffic Act 1961. Conviction for this offence carries five penalty points and the courts may impose a fine of up to €3,000 and/or up to three months’ imprisonment.