Trade Plates are special registration plates obtained by motor traders/repairers. They are basically dealer plates issued to motor traders in order to transport vehicles on the road which may not yet have been registered or taxed. The uses of these plates by motor traders/repairers are restricted to legitimate uses in connection with the motor trade e.g. not used before 06.00am or after 10.00p.m. They are issued for a period of one calendar year. All Trade Plates are issued with effect from 1st January and expire on 31st December in the same year. Any Trade Plate issued after January will still expire on 31st December. For conditions of use please refer to trade plate guidelines which can be found in publications section. Each County Council obtains a supply of trade plates on an annual basis.
How to Apply for Trade Plates
- Form RF700 must be completed
- Garage Code or Motor Dealer Identity Number must be given, this code is obtained from VRU, Shannon by the motor trader
- VAT number must be included on the form. If not registered for VAT, otherwise PPSN number must be used)
- Rate Account number or Planning permission number and date permission granted. Evidence of valuation for Rating purposes of the applicant's premises or, if the premises are new and not yet valued, evidence of Planning Permission.
- Application must be accompanied by motor trader insurance policy
If applying for a second set of plates the garage must prove they are necessary, i.e. prove increased usage
For motor cycles one set of Trade Plates consists of one plate. For all other vehicles one set of Trade Plates consists of 2 plates i.e one for the front and one for the rear of the vehicle.
Trade Plate prices are as follows
|CATEGORY OF VEHICLE||INITIAL TRADE PLATE COST||REPLACEMENT TRADE PLATE COST|
|All Other Vehicles||€353||€86